Water damage and leaks can happen at any time in almost any place in your home. Here are a few tips from your Water Damage Experts at A&D Hydra Clean and Restoration! Call us at 317-255-5658 if you have any questions or need advice. As your locally, family-owned water damage restoration company, we want to be your first source of information and help!
PREVENTING WATER DAMAGE
- Know where the in-house water main shut-off is located and how to turn it off. Significant damage can be minimized by turning the water off to the house in the event of water damage.
- Check your sump pump at least once a month to ensure it is working correctly. (Check more often during periods of heavy rains.)
- Have your sump pump replaced by a licensed plumber at least every 5 years or sooner depending upon usage.
- Install an alarm system to alert you that the main sump pump is not functioning.
- Have a licensed plumber install a battery backup system. Keep proper maintenance on your battery backup system.
- Store important contents and items in plastic containers instead of cardboard boxes.
- If you notice dark staining on baseboard, blistered paint, fuzzy mold growth (mildew), or sour musty odor call A&D Hydra Clean to schedule an inspection.
- Have someone check your crawl space periodically for signs of moisture or standing water. Do not attempt to enter the crawl space by yourself, especially if there is standing water. Be sure to check your crawl space after heavy rains.
- If there is a sump pump in the crawl space, check it periodically to make sure it is working.
- Install a minimum 6 mil plastic vapor barrier over floor of crawl space.
Call us for recommendations regarding opening or closing vents in summer and winter.
MAIN LEVEL OR SECOND FLOOR
- Check supply lines and valves to faucets, toilets, washer, water heater, and water softener for signs of deterioration such as lime deposits and green oxidizing on copper pipes at valves and junctions – may indicate slow leak.
- Replace washing machine black rubber hoses (hot and cold supply lines) with stainless steel braided hoses.
- If house is unoccupied, make sure the house is heated or winterized sufficiently to prevent substantial water damage. If you have a basement, make sure the electricity is not shut off—a sump pump cannot work without power. Have someone check the house periodically. Call A&D Hydra Clean at the slightest sign of moisture in the wrong places.
- Keep gutters and downspouts free of debris.
- Make sure downspouts have extensions that keep rain water a good distance away from your foundation.
- Maintain positive slope of soil (not just the mulch) away from foundation.
- Remove hoses from outdoor faucets before winter or freezing temperatures. If the “freeze-proof” faucet pipe freezes and splits open back inside the wall, you won’t know about it until next spring when you go back in your house after washing your car or watering your spring flowers and find lots of water in the wrong places in your basement or first floor carpet or hardwood.
CALL A&D HYDRA CLEAN TO SCHEDULE AN INSPECTION
A&D Hydra Clean offers the service of hand trenching and installing downspout extensions. Keeping water far away from your foundation is an effective measure to limit damaging moisture in your basement or crawl space. Give us a call today – 317-255-5658!